Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When is Jail Visitation?

A: Every Saturday from 9 AM- 12 PM. Children under age 18 may be allowed to visit with approval from the Sheriff or on-duty deputy as long as they are with an adult. It is the policy of the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office that if you have been convicted of a felony you will not be allowed to visit an inmate.

Q: Can I buy a Calling Card for an inmate?

A: Yes, but a traditional calling card purchased at a store will not work. We have Inmate Calling Cards available at our office and you may come in anytime to purchase one for an inmate. The cost is $10 per calling card.

Q: What do I have to do if I want to get a gun permit?

A: If you want a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) you will need to come in to our office and fill out the application before a license can be issued. A CPL is good for five years. The cost is $48.00 for an Original License. This price includes the cost of Fingerprinting, which will be done in our office. A License Renewal is $32.00, a Late Renewal and Late Penalty Fee is $42.00, and a Replacement Fee (for lost or stolen) is $10.00. For more information about CPL’s please go to:

Q: Is my Concealed Pistol License legal in any other states?

A: No. We do have reciprocity with North Carolina, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Utah, & Michigan, but the handgun must be carried in accordance with the laws of those states. Always be sure to check the laws of any state before traveling there with your handgun.

Q: Can I get a copy of my police or incident report?

A: Yes. You will need to fill out a Public Disclosure Form and once it is approved by either the Sheriff or the Prosecuting Attorney you can receive a copy of the report. The agency has five (5) days to respond to your request. At that time they will either release the records, acknowledge your request and advise you of a reasonable date that your records will be provided to you, or deny your request.  If your request is denied you will be provided specific exemption or other law relied upon for the denial. If you are not able to come to the office you may call us at (509) 843-3494 and request a faxed copy of the Public Disclosure Request Form or download it here [click to download]. You are allowed to fax it back to us. If you'd like to email the Public Disclosure Form to us, please send it to either: or

Q: What is FILE OF LIFE?

A: The FILE OF LIFE complements the 911 system. It is a mini medical history posted on your refrigerator. The FILE OF LIFE card enabled medics to obtain a quick medical history when a patient is unable to offer one. This card also eliminates the risk of a patient who may be in a frightened state, forgetting to mention something important. The card, which is kept in a red plastic pocket labeled FILE OF LIFE lists the patients name, emergency medical contacts, insurance policy, social security number, health problems, medications, dosages, allergies, recent surgery, religion, and a health care proxy. We also have a smaller version of the FILE OF LIFE card which is made to carry in your purse or wallet. If you are interested in receiving a FILE OF LIFE packet, please call the Sheriff's Office at (509) 843-3494 or the Garfield County Fire District #1 office at (509) 843-1533.


Admin Login

Content Copyright 2008-2018, Garfield County | Contact Us