When am I required to have a building permit?

If you are an owner or authorized agent who intends to....

  • Construct, erect, alter, repair, move, or demolish a building or structure
  • Change the occupancy of a building or structure
  • Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system

...within Garfield County but outside city limits, you need to fill out a Building Permit.

See Do I Need a Building Permit Page for more information.

Where can I find information about buildng in Garfield County?

  • You can find information online: here.
  • Visit Garfield County Public Works located in 19th and Arlington.

faqWhere can I find the building permit application?

There are two ways to obtain a building permit in Garfield County:

  1. You can find Building Permit Process information and application online here.

    *Note that you must print out the form and submit the completed application in person at Garfield County Pubic Works.

  2. You can also visit Garfield County Pubic Works located on 19th and Arlington Street and obtain the application in person.

Submit Applications Monday thru Thursday between 7:00am- 4:30pm.

Do I need a permit for demolition, re-roofing, or placement/construction of a mobile home?

Yes. You can find the permit documents for these types of activities here.

What departments/agencies are involved with the building permit application process?

  • Garfield County Public Works, 19th and Arlington, Pomeroy, WA (509) 843-1301
  • Garfield County Health District, 121 South 10th Street, Pomeroy, WA (509) 843-3412
  • Garfield County Sheriff's Department, 789 Main Street, Pomeroy, WA (509) 843-3494

Also, you can find the Mission Statements of these agencies here.

How much will my permit cost?

  • You can find information on the Fee Schedule here.

How long will it take to get my building permit?

The amount of time it takes to distribute builiding permits differs on a case-by-case basis. Time to process the required documents for your building permit depends upon the complexity of your building project.

How long is my building permit good for?

Building permits are valid as long as the permitted work begins within 180 days after the date the permit is issued and is not suspended or abandoned for more than 180 days after it has commenced.

What construction codes are in effect in Garfield County?

  • 2012 International Building Code
  • 2012 International Residential Code (for one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) and their accessory structures. The dwellings cannot be more than three stories in height and must have a seperate means of egress).
  • 2012 International Mechanical Code
  • 2012 International Fire Code
  • 2012 International Plumbing Code